Adding LED lighting to your custom built PC case is like adding the cherry on top of a sundae, it just makes the whole thing come to life.
LED (Light Emitting Diode) strips are currently the best and cheapest way to make your PC case look amazing. If you go with a case lighting set that supports RGB (Red, Green, Blue) color change options, you can easily set the mood simply by switching colors.
There are a ton of options in LED lighting available nowadays, LED strips are becoming super common for all kinds of projects. For the simplicity of this guide however, we will stick to the lighting kits that were designed specifically to be used for for PC mods.
Best PC Case LED Options
NZXT 5.25-Inch Hue RGB LED Color Changing Controller
- Infinite color options that you can customize to your heart's content
- Three RGB controls to adjust the color settings, brightness level, and pulse speed of the internal LED sleeve
- On/off mode to completely disable the LEDs
Satechi RGB LED PC Light Strip with Remote Control
- High-brightness LEDs last up to 100,000 hours
- Flexible strips bend to your desired positions - use the 3M adhesive to attach to almost any surface
- Adjust the LEDs' color, strobe rate, or cycle through multiple colors using the remote control
Tingkam RGB 18 LED Magnet Base Strip Lights for PC
- Good quality and super brightness: Computer decor Light is super brighter than the normal led strips to achieve best lighting effect for your PC computer.
- Plug and play, easy operation: Full kit computer led strip light comes with all the essential parts you may need for your computer.
Installing a LED lighting kit
When looking for a kit to add LED strips, you will want to make sure that it includes a way to wire it into your PC. The best way to do this without having to solder everything together is to use one of your molex connectors.
These are the same connectors that are already coming out of your power supply, the ones you use for powering your drives. Or, that we used to, before SATA connectors were used and before optical drives went pretty much obsolete. This is good news though, because that means you should have plenty of these molex connectors just hanging out ready to plug into a lighting kit.